Well I’m finished another house renovation in North Vancouver and it was even more gratifying than the last one.
I can’t believe how great it is to see a property transform in a short period of time. This mid-century modern home has such good bones and it just needed a little TLC. It went quite smoothly without too many hiccups.
I thought I would share some of my decisions I made throughout the renovation process.
Firstly, the beautiful original wood paneled walls in the living room and dining room needed to be preserved. Although they are in pristine condition, they do darken the room somewhat. Hence the decision to paint out the ceiling with low sheen white paint. Originally it was another tone of wood and that was just too dark and cavernous.
The carpet on the main floor was in good condition and a light colour. Keeping it was a no brainer. The bedrooms have original hardwood and in good shape. Check! The carpet on the stairs was less than attractive as was the variety of floor coverings in the other lower level rooms. So I choose a level loop in a cream & grey mix.
The kitchen and eating area proved to be a bit of a challenge. The dishwasher was in a very odd location and had to be moved leaving a bit of a space in the floor tiles. I knew I would never match them so thought that entire room would need to be re-done. Our wonderful tile setter was able to “snag” a couple of tiles from under the fridge and patched the floor perfectly. That saved a huge amount of the budget.
Both bathrooms were gutted. As cute as they were in a vintage kind of way they really needed a facelift. A porcelain tile (in grey of course) was the choice for main bathroom. I found an interesting stick-on tile for the lower level bathroom as it was on concrete and I didn’t want to build a subfloor – I wanted to maintain the grade next to the new carpet.
As I said the layout of the kitchen was a bit strange so we removed a section of the counter, moved the dishwasher, fixed the floor and changed the counter top. A new sink & faucet was next. We added a breakfast bar which I think was a great addition. The appliances were in good shape except for the dishwasher. It didn’t survive the move so a new one was added. That wasn’t in the budget.
I found a new grey striated wall tile from Ames Tile that I fell in love with for the tub surround and laid them stacked with contrasting dark grey grout. Although I was a little nervous about the grout decision I loved the finished look. Rona has a really good selection of free-standing vanities so two were purchased – one for each bathroom. A new square tub was added for one bathroom and new shower for the other bathroom. And of course new hardware & bath accessories for both.
All the walls except the wood paneled walls were painted in a pale grey – Para Paints, Snappy Dresser. It’s one of my favourite paint colours. It’s a warm grey and changes colour from room to room depending on the lighting. The exterior trim was painted with Benjamin Moore, Kendall Grey.
All the light fixtures were original and most were able to be saved. We did change some of the indirect fluorescent lighting to new, daylight balanced and added pot lights to the bathrooms. The patio was painted and new floor covering added. The gardener came in and gave the entire yard a good “haircut” and the beds and planters were tended to.
All in all it I was so happy with the end result. And as it turned out when we had a final appraisal done it would be very profitable to put it back on the market. But this one is definitely worth keeping. I’m sure the new family renting it will be very happy.
~ Patti Houston, owner of Flüff Design & Decor
Add a comment