In Saturday’s Vancouver Sun, Steve Whysall wrote an amazing article on “What Makes Vancouver Special” From coffee to sushi to the Sun Run, 10 bright lifestyle lights that have put this city on the map. See the original article here.
1. Coffee – Not uniquely west coast but as Vancouverites our appetite for this caffeinated beverage is insatiable.
2. Arthur Erickson – Vancouver’s most internationally renowned architect, known locally for his ability to get Vancouverites to change the way they think of themselves and their place in the world
3. John Fleuvog – Vancouver’s own avant-garde footwear designer (the top of our list)
4. Gardening – Vancouver is one of the few places where you can garden year round. Community gardens are becoming a major component of our urban landscape.
5. Granville Island – A unique amazing eclectic mix of industry, market, culture and waterfront living.
6. Lululemon – Yoga clothing phenomenon.
7. The Naam – Vancouver’s first full vegetarian restaurant was at the core of Kitsilano psychedelic era of the late 60’s early 70’s.
8. The Sun Run – 27 years and still going strong, who knew how much we love to run together?
9. Sushi – Hard to belive there was a time when you had to hunt to find a sushi bar in this city.
10. Wreck Beach – Ironically made famous by an anti nudist protest march on July 10, 1977.
What’s your #11? What in your eyes makes Vancouver special? Leave a comment and let us know what tops your list. Stay tuned for a follow-up post with our ideas.