This has got to be one of the most effective DIY projects I know of. I am sure you have all seen one of these dated brass fireplace inserts.
This is such a quick and easy fix. Here are the steps to complete your project:
1. Gather your supplies; TSP, high heat matte black paint (usually used for barbeques) & fine steel wool.
2. Pop off the brass items. This is easy to do.
3. Mix up some TSP and lightly scrub using the fine steel wool. This will ensure that your surface is not only clean but has something for the paint to adhere to.
4. Let dry thoroughly.
5. Place each item one at a time on a rise and spray a light coat of the paint. (You may find that one coat is enough). Make sure you do the sides too.
6. Let dry thoroughly. The paint is tack dry in 5 minutes. If you need a second coat you can apply it at this time.
7. Once thoroughly dry pop the now black items back on the fireplace and VOILA.
Total time? 20 minutes. Total cost? $25.00.
~ Patti Houston, owner of Flüff Design & Decor